Sunday, February 21, 2016

Alan Hale Jr. AKA The Skipper


Over the weekend I watched an episode of the old 60's "Batman" show and was admiring Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara. It got me thinking. What other TV shows of my youth with attractive daddies that I over looked and "Gilligan's Island" was one of the first pop in my mind. It was only later in life that I could truly appreciate the Bluto-esque Skipper with his tubby, burly gruffness acting as a foil for that skinny “pantywaist” Gilligan. So I bring to you, Alan Hale Jr.

At six feet two inches tall and 280 pounds, Alan Hale Jr. who played the role of Skipper was made for this part. Even in real life Alan would continue to wear the Skipper hat and was even known to donate old hats to charity auctions. He had also owned a restaurant in Hollywood known as The Lobster Barrel where he would greet his guests dressed as Skipper. If the show was on now, I'd be watching it for completely different reasons. My eyes would be locked on the Skipper’s tight white pants, waiting for a tantalizing glimpse of huge package that he would treat us to every so often. To be honest, I never noticed this watching GI growing up, but I read jokes about it online some time ago, and now I see it in almost every still of the Skipper.

Twice married with four children, Hale died in 1990, of thymus cancer at age 68, cremated, and his ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean. Been dead for over 25 years and I still image taking the Skipper around the farm. Even though Gilligan’s Island only ran for 3 years with 98 episodes. The show was popular in it’s day and has gone on to achieve a minor cult status. Most fans have their fave Island character. For me it will always be Alan Hale, Jr. as Jonas Grumby, the “Skipper” with the Daddy ‘tude and nautical equipment!






We know what you use that sock for Skipper. You don't need to show us.






Look at that heavy cargo.


Yeah... I'd like to take a three hour tour with that.



The Skipper's junk is all I see.




You had me at orgy.




No comments:

Post a Comment