Saturday, November 30, 2013

Remembering Charles Durning


There appear to be a lot of male movie stars and TV personalities who, with the benefit of hindsight and perhaps a lot of delayed admission on my part, meant a huge amount to me when I was younger. And there were many, including actors known for their acting abilities than their looks, like Edward Asner, Rod Steiger and Tom Bosley. But no one I watched, made more of an impression than Charles Durning.

Durning inspires lustful fantasies buried deep in my psyche that go as far back as I can recall. Being the first male focus of my youthful masturbatory sessions as I began to discover my penchant for big, matured men! Durning had an everyday look, sporting less-than-perfect physique - portly, thinning hair and a bulbous nose - and was a casting director's delight, equally adept at comedy and drama.

If his ordinary-guy looks deprived him of leading-man roles, they did not leave him typecast. He could play gruff and combative or gentle and funny. In the comedy “Tootsie” (1982) he was a little of each,  playing Jessica Lange’s unsuspecting father, who falls for a television actor masquerading as a woman. But it wasn't until he starred in "Evening Shade" were he portrayed the dim, blustery, small-town doctor Harlan Elldridge that got my attention. He had spent most of two episodes walking around wearing just a small bush. I was titillated at the sight of  this silverfox of a chub bellying his way across a scene. The sight of him had me shooting ropes that night. From this point I was hooked and have been trying to get my hands on anything he has appeared in.

By the 2000s, he was getting on in years, a little past his best and he did appear to have lost a little weight, but I'd still would have done him in a heartbeat. He never went out of style, never lost his appeal. He was never put away because his looks had faded or his waistline thickened. I stuck with him, just as he stuck with us. (Durning was working into his late 80s).

I was saddened by his passing, he died Dec. 24 at age 89, but couldn't help but smile at the remembrances of some of the characters he played and the performances that he gave. I didn't feel the pain of loss as much as gratitude for all the happy hours shared with Durning. I was so glad for knowing him. Never mind we never met. I will always be thankful to Mr. Durning for making my life more enjoyable and appreciated his work as a mature admirer. He was a great character actor, D-Day Veteran and more importantly, A GREAT MAN. He’ll be greatly missed.

 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment