Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Robert Prosky (1930–2008)

I was relaxing at the beach this past weekend when I saw this handsome bearded silverfox sunning himself on the beach. As I gave him a once-over and with his beard and white hair, he remind me of the late character actor, Robert Prosky. Let me say I had a wonderful view at the beach that day.

Now back to what this post was really about. Prosky who had hundreds of film, TV and stage credits but to most was remembered as the crusty, but avuncular, cop Stanislaus "Stan" Jablonski on the NBC police drama “Hill Street Blues” and his performance as a desperate real estate salesman in David Mamet’s play “Glengarry Glen Ross.” I best remember him as the station owner in the Robin Williams film "Mrs Doubtfire" (1993) in which he helped me get turned on to guys with beards. Prosky, being chubby and white-haired, definitely helped. He jokingly attributed his success to his paunch and prematurely gray hair, telling the Washington Post, "This hair and this gut are the two reasons I got started as an actor. I could play men 50 when I was 30, maybe 25. I could always play the funny fat man." I also thought he was quite handsome, but a biographer once wrote that Prosky had a face that looked as though it had been sat on by someone of his own large weight. That would have been most definitely me and I can think of another thing of Prosky's that I could sit on.

Other films in which he played key roles include"Christine," “Last Action Hero,” “Hoffa,” “Far and Away” and “Mad City.” In addition, he played many recurring roles on TV, like Kirstie Alley's father on the sitcoms "Cheers" and "Veronica's Closet." The latter of which had a cute but short make-out scene with him and the maid. He was offered the roles of Coach on "Cheers" and and Martin Crane on "Fraiser," but long runs on television "sent chills down my spine," he said, because it kept him away from the stage, which took precedence. Those decisions probably reduced my wank material of him greatly.


 He could be the kind grandpa or the stern, grumpy one. Either way, he was still hot.





 Attack of the killer beards.
 Damn that's hot.


I'm trying to stop calling grown men cute but I don't have any other words to describe him. Maybe adorable. Yes, adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment